Pharmacy Services and Home Health Care Products
If you are having trouble remembering what your medications are for, or how to take them properly, turn to our pharmacists at Pellow Pharmasave in Walkerton, ON. We will provide you with a one-on-one consultation and review all of your medications.
Count on us to help you have a better understanding of the medicines you are taking. We will also let you know how to maximize the benefits you are receiving from them.
To be eligible for a MedsCheck, we require that you take 3 chronic prescription medications. This service is very helpful for anyone who is on multiple medications, especially for people who:
- Have been discharged from the hospital
- Have had significant changes to medications
- Have trouble managing medications or health conditions
- Use high-alert medications (warfarin, digoxin, and narcotics)
- Have an upcoming surgery or appointment with a specialist
- Feel they are having difficulty tolerating their medication
After the consultation, we will provide you with a comprehensive medication chart and list of medications. These will include your prescription medications, vitamins, and over-the-counter medications.
Make sure your medication list is updated at all times. This is important for when you have a planned or unplanned hospital admission. Also, your family should know where this list is in case you cannot convey this information yourself.
Our MedsCheck service is paid for by the government and is available on an annual basis. To schedule your consultation, contact our pharmacy today and speak with one of our staff members.
Being diagnosed with a health condition can leave you and your family feeling overwhelmed and scared. We encourage you to learn as much as possible about your condition so you can manage it properly. Our pharmacy has a variety of resources available to provide education on different health conditions.
Our specialty compounding service allows us to tailor-make pharmaceutical products just for you. We can help you with custom flavourings, commercially unavailable strengths, discontinued medications, and alternate routes of administration. Get in touch with us if:
- You are interested in bioidentical hormone replacement therapy.
- You have sensitivity to a colouring agent or filler in a commercially prepared medication.
- You or your pet requires a strength of medication that is not readily available.
Keeping track of multiple medications can be overwhelming and time-consuming. Leave the work to us by getting your medications weekly in an easy-to-use compliance pack. Different styles are available.
This service allows you to take your medications properly and get the most benefit from them. Weekly delivery of your compliance pack is available free of charge.
If you are going on a vacation, we can create compliance packs that you can take on your trip. Please talk to one of our pharmacy team members today if you are interested.
Effective December 15, 2016
In addition to the flu vaccine, pharmacists are now permitted to administer vaccines to individuals older than 5 years old for the following:
- Hepatitis A
- Hepatitis B
- Herpes Zoster
- Japanese Encephalitis
- Pneumococcal Disease
- Typhoid Disease
- Yellow Fever
There are certain vaccines that still require a prescription. In such cases, our trained pharmacists will provide the vaccination only when you bring us your prescription. To learn about the fee for this service, contact us today.
Our pharmacists can help determine the recommended vaccinations and oral medications (i.e., antimalarial medication) that you should get before going to your destination. We will also assist you in preparing your travel kit.
Travel Kit Checklist
- Analgesic (acetaminophen or ibuprofen)
- Anti-diarrheal (loperamide, Pepto-Bismol)
- Allergy medication
- Cold or sinus medication
- Antinauseant (dimenhydrinate, ginger)
Basic First Aid
- Hydrocortisone cream
- Antifungal cream
- Antibiotic cream
- Antibacterial hand sanitizer
- Bug spray
- Oral rehydration salts
We know it is not always easy to remember what medications you are taking. This can be even more difficult if you become ill and need medical attention. For this reason, we provide medication wallet cards.
We will create an up-to-date list of your medications in a convenient, wallet-sized card. Carry it with you at all times so that caregivers or other health care professionals can be informed of your medication use. Take it with you to your next doctor’s appointment to ensure all of your medications are accounted for when you get your medications renewed.
Contact us to ask for your medication wallet card today. Make sure to get it updated if your medications change.
- Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your medications, including over-the-counter and herbal medications.
- Always carry a wallet card that lists all of your medications and health conditions.
- Go to the same pharmacy for all of your health and medication needs. Tell a pharmacy team member if you get a prescription filled at another pharmacy.
- Check with our pharmacist before you take any over-the-counter medications.
- Unless you are using a pillbox, keep your medications in the original bottle.
- Bring expired medications to us for safe disposal.
- Don’t use expired medications.
- Don’t stop taking your medications without speaking to you physician or pharmacist first.
The role of the pharmacist is evolving rapidly and becoming more patient-centered than product-centered. Although pharmacists are considered “drug experts,” they have extensive knowledge and skills that can improve your overall health. They can help in any of the following areas:
- Providing education about various disease conditions, including osteoporosis, diabetes, and hypertension
- Answering questions that you may have about your medication use
- Providing important advice on OTC products (vitamins, herbals, coughs and colds, analgesics, etc.) to prevent unsafe medication use
- Providing advice about lifestyle modifications (nutrition, smoking cessation, and physical activity) that can prevent many chronic diseases and allow you to live well
Did you know that 9 out of 10 Canadians will develop high blood pressure in their lifetime? High blood pressure, also called hypertension, can cause strokes, heart attacks, heart failure, and kidney failure.
High blood pressure often has no signs or symptoms, which is why it is called the “silent killer.” When it is detected early, you can get the treatment necessary to reduce your risks. Our pharmacy provides free blood pressure monitoring, so come in today to check yours. We also sell a variety of home blood pressure monitors.
We will provide you with a blood pressure card that records your results, and you can go online to print these results before your appointment. If you do not have a computer, we can print it for you.
What should be my blood pressure?
Most people – less than 140/90 mmHg
People with diabetes or kidney disease – less than 130/80 mmHg
There is often a false belief that non-prescription medications are safe to use. All medications, including herbals, can actually be dangerous for people who have certain health conditions or are taking other medications.
Speak with our pharmacists before choosing any over-the-counter product to ensure that the medication is a safe option for you. Ask us before you purchase any of the following:
- Compression stockings
- Specialty vitamins (Metagenics, AOR, and Lorna Vanderhaeghe)
- Bug bite gel
- Specially compounded muscle relaxant cream
Various home health care products are available for sale and for rent at Pellow Pharmasave and Lucknow Pharmasave. Visit us, and we will help you find the product that meets your needs.
Below are some of the products and services that we provide. If we do not have what you are looking for, let us know, and we will place a special order.
Bathroom Safety Products
- Raised Toilet Seats
- Grab Bars
- Bath Seats
- Sitz Bath
- Transfer Benches
- Bath Mats
- Canes and Cane Accessories
Daily Living Aids
- Protective Underwear
- Incontinence Pants
- Mattress Pads
- Blood Pressure Monitors
Compression Stockings and Diabetic Socks
Let our staff measure and fit you with the right stockings. Our compression stockings and diabetic socks come in several different styles and colours.
Urban Poling Activator Walking Poles
Do you feel unsure about your balance and stability when you are walking? We offer activator walking poles to help you feel secure, improve your balance and posture, and enhance your overall health. These poles are used by many health care professionals, including physiotherapists, occupational therapists, chiropractors, and fitness specialists.
Benefits of the Activator Poles
- Easy and simple to learn
- Improves posture, stability, and balance
- Provides a full body workout with increased cardiovascular workout compared to regular walking
- Reduces stress on hip and knee joints